CHURCH RECORDS are often the only source of birth, death, and marriage records, especially before the time of official government records.
Births, deaths, and marriages recorded in the Gouverneur Herald, including events throughout the county. [a full-text, indexed transcription].
Births, deaths, and marriages recorded in various newspapers prior to 1850, as extracted by John Austin, who deserves huge credit and applause for this fantastic resource. Over 5000 records.
Births, deaths, and marriages recorded in various newspapers 1850-1859, as extracted by John Austin, who has once again outdone himself. Approximately 6800 records.
Newspapers -- State Education Department. The New York State Library has many microfilmed newspapers from throughout the state. Microfilms can be borrowed through inter-library loan, generally for use in the library requesting the loan.
North Country Now carries current local obituaries, and other current news.
Watertown Daily Times archives going back to 1870. They also have The New York Reformer (1850-1861) and The New York Daily Reformer (1861-1869). Stories since 1850 can be accessed in the Times On-Line; click on Archives. Create an account, and pay for one-day, or monthly subscription plans. However, many NNY libraries have the service available free to their members through the North Country Library System. Check with your local library, if you are in the North Country, or are a member at a north country library.
Newspaper abstracts came online October 1999 and since that time has grown to over 2,100 pages and 100MB of data all of which has been contributed by volunteers. This site contains abstracts, extracts and links to newspaper articles across the United States published prior to 1923. More volunteers are also needed in all geographic areas - no submissions are too small or too large!
NNY Newspapers. The Northern New York Library Network has on-line searchable images of Northern New York newspapers. The online collection currently [Mar 2019] consists of more than 8,500,000 pages from twenty-three newspapers. To search a particular newspaper, click on the title. Each title opens in a new window.
- Akwesasne Indian Time, Rooseveltown, 1983-current
- The Bee, Heuvelton, 1912-19??
- Canton Commercial Advertiser, 1900-1952
- Commercial Advertiser, Potsdam Junction, 1873-1958
- Courier and Freeman, Potsdam, 1861-1989
- The Daily Journal, Ogdensburgh, 1857-1868
- Daily Sentinel, Ogdensburgh, 1848
- Frontier Sentinel, Ogdensburgh, 1844-1847
- Gouverneur Tribune-Press and others, 1864-2004
- Hammond Advertiser, Hammond, 1886-19??
- The Madrid Herald, Madrid, 1904-1918
- Massena Observer, Massena, 1897-1989
- Massena Press and Norfolk Times, Massena, 1915
- Northern Observer, Massena, 1891-1897
- Northern Tribune and Gouverneur Herald Times, Gouverneur, 1892-1895
- Ogdensburg Advance and St. Lawrence Weekly Democrat, Ogdensburg, 1867-1927
- Potsdam Herald-Recorder, Potsdam, 1905-1949
- Republican Journal, Ogdensburg, 1916-1932
- St. Lawrence American, Ogdensburg, 1856-1857
- St. Lawrence Gazette, Ogdensburg, 1815-1830
- St. Lawrence Herald, Potsdam, 1878-1905
- St. Lawrence Republican and Ogdensburgh Weekly Journal, Ogdensburgh, 1858-1916
- St. Lawrence Republican, Ogdensburg, 1833-1858
It is recommended that Internet Explorer and a high speed connection be used to view this site.
Old Fulton NY Post Card WebSite. Search Historical Photos And Newspapers From Central ,Upstate and Western New York 1795 Thru 2007. More data is added every Sunday Night.Search Over 2,725,000 Old Upstate, Western & Central NY Newspaper Pages. Includes Watertown Reformer, 1850-1862; Watertown Times, 1870-1922; Ogdensburg Daily Journal, 1857-1869; Ogdensburg News, 1899-1922; Canton St. Lawrence Plaindealer, 1864-1958; and many more newspapers from northern, central, and western New York state, including papers from Syracuse, Auburn, Oswego, Mexico, Adams, Boonville, Ithaca, Utica, Buffalo, Rochester, Lowville, etc.
Madrid marriages, 1847-1849.
Pierrepont births, 1847-1849.
NY Vital Stats from the NY State Library.
NY Vital Records.
Smallman Card File. The LDS Microfilms page has listings of microfilms covering St. Lawrence county, available through LDS Family History Centers. The Smallman Card File is a file of extracted information.
- LDS Film #1276159: -- Clifford
- LDS Film #1276177: -- Fitton, M.
- LDS Film #1276178: -- Hogg, W.
- LDS Film #1276183: -- Manor, M.
- LDS Film #1276184: -- Perridu
- LDS Film #1276185: -- Sheldon, GW
- LDS Film #1276186: -- Weston
- LDS Film #1276187: -- Z